High-volume recruitment in the Mining sector
SKILLED was engaged by our client to manage the end-to-end recruitment of 180 Dump Truck Operators (DTO’s) and deliver them over an eleven week period.
SKILLED was responsible for all aspects of the recruitment process, from the selection of candidates through to their placement on site. SKILLED were asked to source, screen, interview, verify qualifications, perform medical assessments, coordinate travel arrangements and induct all 180 DTO’s.
We were also required to mobilise their resources quickly and conduct a rigorous sourcing campaign which received 1500 applications and required 250 interviews and 200 medical assessments.
SKILLED conducted an initial planning workshop with our client to address requirements, timeframes, expectations and communication methods and establish the parameters for a successful working relationship.
The following elements were central to the successful implementation and execution of high-volume recruitment:
- The immediate implementation of a SKILLED dedicated Client Recruitment Team which leveraged the resources in our Mining Service Centre Team
- Assigning a dedicated Recruitment Coordinator to the project to manage the Recruitment Team and act as a central point of contact for our client
- Creating and implementing a targeted press and online advertising campaign
- Directing all initial candidate applications and enquiries through an efficient call centre function of the Recruitment Team, staffed by experienced consultants with expertise in volume recruitment, performance management and retention
- Moving the candidate selection process wholly in-house to reduce the recruitment lifecycle and meet our client's expectations in a timely manner
- Moving medical checks in-house and extending the hours of the Registered Nurse to ensure all client candidate medicals were completed in the required timeframe
- Distributing new-starter packs that contained specific information relevant to the role and ensuring a smooth transition for new employees
- Effective and efficient organisation of travel and accommodation arrangements for successful candidates
- Providing site inductions for each new DTO crew and providing an opportunity for them to meet the rest of the team through a social BBQ.
- Providing Work in Progress reports to our client on a weekly basis to ensure transparency and accountability.
SKILLED successfully placed all 180 DTOs on-site within the required timeframes, which exceeded our client’s expectations.
The recruitment model developed specifically to meet our client’s initial high-volume recruitment needs continues to be used today, indicating its effectiveness in the ongoing delivery of successful high-volume recruitment outcomes.
Read more case studies that demonstrate why clients choose SKILLED.